Random Pictures of Kitgum and Surroundings

One of the biggest bummers is the fact I don't have a camera. My camera broke when I was in Nigeria and I haven't been able to get a replacement. I have a "work" camera but it's a very nice SLR that is quite big and conspicuous so I don't always feel comfortable taking it around with me. However, I was able to procure a camera phone when I was visiting the USA. I thought that I'd be able to "unlock" the phone (basically allowing my phone to be functional on other networks than the original provider) but apparently the majority of US carriers use CDMA as opposed to GSM. This basically renders the phone useless outside of America, lacking the compartment for a SIM card. But just because my phone isn't functional doesn't mean it stops me from carrying two cell phones in my pocket; one for calls, one for pictures. Plus, I've never really had a camera phone so I'm now up to the standards of technology in the mid-2000's...better late than never!
I enjoyed seeing this truck filled to the brim with random goods. It's not unusual to see overloaded trucks but I specifically like overloaded trucks with a variety of goods. Believe it or not, this truck was not anywhere near being full and it added a few more random objects and about a dozen people sitting on top of the items, probably holding on for dear life during the journey (I did not see any seatbelts).

This is the road to the hospital. You can see the dust cloud that forms as a result from trucks driving by. It's not unusual for your nostrils to be coated with dust after walking along the road. 
This is a view from one of the hills overlooking Kitgum. I do not know the gentleman pictured. 
Here is a picture of a random guy pushing a random load on a random street in Kitgum. Don't be fooled, this is one of the better paved roads in town. Apparently the roads were paved in the '50s. and haven't been worked on since. 
This is a random and completely uninteresting picture of another random street in Kitgum. I only post it to give you an idea of how the streets slowly deteriorate and the road becomes skinnier and skinnier. Also, this picture demonstrates that the style of "popping collars" is everywhere, even in Uganda.  

Comments

Popular Posts