Ugandan Food

Ugandan cuisine has proved to be both healthy and tasty. Before arriving I was told we would have a cook. I wasn't too happy about this, mainly because it made me feel like I was part of "colonial Africa" or something like that. I also enjoy the challenge of learning to cook with local ingredients, cooking local dishes and experimenting.  That being said, nearly everywhere I've lived I have connected with a local family that has basically cooked for me. It's been great, whether for convenience, consumption of local foods or the joy of eating communally, it has always worked out well.

Our cook is a really great guy, an ex-soldier (the kidnapped kind, not he enrolled kind) and he's always very willing to give an explanation of the various foods and preparation.

Pictured above is a pot of beef stew, peanut stew with greens, roasted cassava and the ever popular posho (or Ugali in some parts of the country). Posho is made from ground millet and is very sticky (like peanut butter) and rather flavorless. Posho can also be made with maize (when made with maize it appears white in color). Both the cassava and posho can be dipped in the peanut sauce and meat sauce.The above meal gets a 6/10 on my food scale.

Pictured above are cassava chips (like french fries), bbq'd beef kebabs and sauteed cabbage with veggies. This dish is delicious and gets a 10/10.

Here we've got some boiled/roasted ripe banana, peanut sauce and mushroom stew. Probably among my least favorites but still a respectable 4/10.

Here we've got a mix of beef stew, peanut sauce with greens, sweet potato and rice. This dish ranks a solid 6/10.

Comments

Popular Posts