Village Shop

I was in a village doing some outreach work and I found myself near a local shop. I thought I'd share with you the average rural North Uganda village shop. You can get all your local needs!
This is a view of the shop (far right) with two other buildings. It is literally exactly like the story of the three little pigs. The house to the far left is made of straw, the middle house is made of mud, and the farthest house is made of brick.

The shop has a pretty nice zinc door, which is helpful to keep out not only thieves, but also animals. The owner also has a small solar panel to charge and operate his stereo system. He also uses the power to charge people's phones for a small cost. He told me the phone charging business is low because few people have phones. These solar panels are seen almost everywhere in Uganda and seem to work well for people.
Inside the shop there is a jovial owner. All of the products you could possible need are in this shop. Let's see if you can spot all the items: razors, biscuits, cigarettes, washing detergent, washing soap, candy, rum in plastic bags that looks like water, soda, salt, phone credit and seasoning packs. The rum is sold in small plastic bags to reduce the cost of packaging and allow for quick access to a shot. I've seen bags of water sold like this in several developing countries and I have even seen more "professional" packaging of liquor shots in Nigeria, but this is the first time I've seen something so...um, basic. 

This is the electronic set up the proprietor of the shop set up. I do not claim to have any idea what is going on. Obviously, I'm not an electrician.



Comments

Popular Posts